Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Kia Ora!

That's hello to you non-kiwi's. :-)

It's beautiful here. SOOO much to tell you all. I'm keeping a handwritten journal so I can go back and fill in the blanks.

Back to where I last left you... LAX. What an ugly airport. My friend Tara McNamara - who many of you remember from her days hosting CMT programming - came up and took me out for dinner. It was great to see her, and I had a delicious Louie Salad.

My trip over was fine. Long. Slept a little. Qantas was great. Watched "The Queen", which was interesting. Thought of you Moni - lots of Diana footage. Have you seen it? They fed us twice on the flight - dinner (at around Midnight Nashville time) and a really good hot breakfast. I spent a lot of time listening to Radio Q - the inflight radio. Their country channel is called "Big Country" which cracked me up... sounds like a channel that would air on our competitor. ;-)

The programming was really well produced - had a guest artist - and wouldn't you know it, his name was Garth. Garth Porter. The host was really good too, and an interesting mix of Australian and American music. About every 3rd song was American. Rodney Atkins, the Dixie Chicks, MG, and Dierks Bentley.

Right now I'm at the airport and need to give someone else the terminal. We're getting ready to fly to Dunedin - which is where my mom was born and raised. It's the part of the trip I'm most excited about!

I haven't learned yet how to say goodbye in Maori.

6 comments:

Monica said...

Got an email from G letting me know you got there safe and sound!! It made my day. Man..can't believe you had dinner with Tara! That's cool. I'm patiently waiting for your updates and hope you LOVE your trip to your mom's home town. Love and miss you tons!!

Anonymous said...

Kia Ora, J! How's the weather? Did ya forget anything? :P I can't wait to see your pictures...I can imagine it's gorgeous there!
Glad you're able to check in. :)
*hugs*

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this trip. I sure hope you enjoy your mom's hometown and have a great time there. I am looking forward to hearing more as the days pass.

Mary Ann

Anonymous said...

Haere rā - Goodbye (to someone leaving)
E noho rā - Goodbye (to someone staying)
Ka kite anō - See you again
Hei konā - See you later

http://www.korero.maori.nz/forlearners/protocols/geetings.html

Don't ask me how to pronounce any of these.

I've never heard of a Louie Salad. I had to google it. Sounded like it might have been spicy.

Can't wait to travel the country with you. Have a fantastic time.

Paula

Anonymous said...

I'm loving this!! Thanks Joyce!!

Kiwi Deb said...

No news since you left Auckland. I hope it's because you're way busy and not because you've fried your laptop with our 240 volt power supply!