Friday, April 27, 2007

Rain Rain Go Away!

I was supposed to climb Mt. Maunganui today. (And for the record, not only can I spell it, I can pronounce it too!) However, we've had hours worth of torrential rains, so it would be a muddy slippery mess. Buggar!

Our pavlova experiment went well, but we're going to try again tonight. Because you can never have too much pav. I've also aquired my Aunt's recipe for chocolate fudge cake, so I'm bringing back that, and some wine biscuits to make it. Another thing I'm bringing back - Pea, Pie & Pud. Yummy!

Toured a kiwi fruit farm yesterday, and got to see the packing plant where they were sorting and packing boxes to ship all over New Zealand. The area I'm staying in is called the Bay of Plenty. They have tons and tons of fruit that gets exported from here, from Tangelos to Avacados. I tried the feijoa Debbie - yummy! I liked it much better than the passion fruit. My dad and brother took a helicopter ride over the Bay of Plenty and said it was awesome.

We also got to play in the ocean a little yesterday. I think I preferred the beach in Dunedin, but we found lots of pretty shells, including a paua shell! I've bought a lot of paua jewlery on this trip.

I talked to Delaynie this morning, Gary pulled her out of school Friday at lunch time and took her out to lunch and to play glo-golf. I'm going to come home and she's going to be spoiled rotten.

Oh - I sent a bunch of postcards in Dunedin, the mail system here is SO confusing -- I wound up buying stamps for 2 different systems without knowing it. Either way, it's $1.50 to mail a postcard! So I'm not getting to send as many as I'd like. If anyone reading this gets one, you'll have to let me know when it arrived, and we'll see which mail system is faster. ;-)

Tomorrow afternoon we leave here and head to Auckland for our last few days.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it's almost over...it seems like you just left. I can't wait to see your pictures to go along with all that you have shared here. I felt like I was there.

You really have picked up the local slang. I'm curious...what is pea, pie and pud?

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Paula

Kiwi Deb said...

Did you try any of the gold kiwifruit? And do you not have passionfruit in the US?

J. said...

I have photos of pea, pie, and pud, although if you translate pud = spud, you can probably figure it out. ;-)

I did have the gold kiwi, it was interesting to eat with the skin on. We have passionfruit FLAVORED things over here, but I've never actually eaten the real fruit. they probably sell them for a ridiculous price in the grocery.

Kiwi Deb said...

We don't eat the kiwis here, only the kiwifruit. A "kiwi" is a bird. A "kiwifruit", which used to be called a Chinese gooseberry, is a fruit. Thus ends your lesson in what to eat and not to eat in New Zealand.

Passionfruit are very expensive here too. People used to grow them in their gardens but not so much anymore. They're my favourite along with watermelon and rockmelon (what you call cantaloupe I think).

Anonymous said...

So, I googled it...it's like our pot pies, only with potatoes included...or similar to a shepherd's pie. :-)

Paula

Anonymous said...

I love passion fruit and kiwi! And I bet pea, pie, & pud is like our pastel de papas... yum!!

What an awesome trip J. Now you need to start saving to take Delaynie!

Anonymous said...

I love all the posts. Thanks for taking us along!!

Deb!! You got a taste of american
speak!!! LOL
Loved your lesson!!

Kiwi Deb said...

I've been there more than a dozen times. I'm quite familiar with American speak.

Interestingly, when asked what a kiwi was, Garth was the only one at the time (Spring Training 2000) who came close. All the others said "a small brown furry fruit". Garth said "a small brown furry animal like a roadrunner". I won't tell you what the prize was but he got it.